My hypocrisy grows as the Confederations Cup enters its second semifinal game. I wrote an earlier piece complaining about how it’s basically a tournament about nothing, right champ? It’s not like the winner gets directly qualifies to the World Cup…
Here are my takeaways from the Chile versus Portugal game today:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo’s hair – It was different, it had a lining and I couldn’t help but think it made him look schoolboy-ish. Maybe the hair was a factor in him not turning those headers into goals. Hmm…
2. Why wasn’t Ronaldo within the first three to take a penalty? He didn’t even get a chance to take one today since his teammates missed the first three. In that note, I couldn’t help but think Nani and Quaresma were subbed in to not only provide width for a Ronaldo that went from provider to the spear of the attack, but with penalty kicks in mind.
3. Vidal complaining about getting elbowed was hilarious as their was barely a touch made in him. Doesn’t he have a rep of playing in the knifes edge?
4. Was Vidal playing as a false nine?
5. That one pace Alexis Sanchez played for his teammate was class!
6. Bravo! Bravo! I can’t remember the last time a goalie stopped the first three penalties kicked against him! He showed why he’s a great shot stopper, and I hope he’s back to his best next season. He had a great stop during the game as well which kept the game without goals.
7. The amount of shots over the bar was unreal! I’m looking at you Moutinho and Andre Silva…
I’ll have something up Friday. Until then keep your haircut fresh and your mouth while you’re at it.