I’ve been playing Football Manager 2017 this month. As I mentioned earlier I’m working on a multimedia project where I pretend I’m a manager managing a team. The closest I’ll get to that is through a simulation game. I didn’t want to pick a big team with a lot of money. This game is more fun when you torture yourself with a budget that can’t even cover the amount per week Alexis Sanchez is reported to want. So I chose the finest team in Scotland, Heart of Midlothian. We’re going to share our journey like a newly formed couple hiding the cracks in their relationship by sharing more pics on Facebook than usual.
I’ll start by sharing my ‘philosophy’ and how I plan to manage this operation. Here goes:
- Tactics – 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with a focus on wing play
- Style – A passing team that keeps possession while transitioning quickly from defense to attack and vice-versa.
- The reserve team will act like the 1st team. A clear path from reserve team to 1st team will be established. I’m doingn away with the youth academy.
- I set weekly training sessions and tactical work.
- My assistant and staff will work on individual training and give me input.
- A Director of Football (DoF) will be used as an ally who mostly takes care of recruiting the players I want.
- We see ourselves as part of chain where our players can go from the reserves or another league to Hearts to a bigger team. This does not mean we do not want to challenge for trophies. Winning a trophy is always the main goal in sport. However, we’re a realist bunch who know we have to grow our budget.
- Where? – Our talent will be drawn from Scotland (Championship and League 1) and Europe (Scandinavia and Eastern Europe).
- Who? – These players will at the minimum be 16 and at most their mid 20s. I want players who can pass the ball well, have good technique and are adaptable. They will be free agents or castaways from other teams.
- Cost? 25,000 or less
- Scouting – Our scouts will comb the already mentioned targeted areas in Scotland and Europe. I will need three reports (profile and matches) before a decision is made to recruit a player.
There you have it! I look forward to turning Hearts into a nuisance that buzzes at Celtic and Aberdeen.